I’m a recovery junkie, craving anything and everything having to do with beating addiction. No amount of “you are not alone” seems to be enough.
That might explain why I’m now writing two or three blog posts per week on this subject, and on top of attending a regular Thursday 12-step meeting, I’m filling most of my free time devouring the inspirational stories of fellow addicts.
Including “Approved AA Literature,” I’ve read 24 “Quit Lit” books in the past 427 days. Some of them multiple times.
Can’t count the actual number of sober podcasts I’ve played on my phone while working out in my basement or walking in the park, but I have a solid rotation of four or five “shows” that I subscribe and look forward to every week.
I owe so much of my progress to these authors and speakers. I’ve never met them, but they feel like friends, and I owe them all a huge debt of gratitude.
Thus the list I’m going to post below. Not that anyone mentioned will ever know how much they’ve done for me, but for anyone reading this who’s struggling with addiction — or just an unhealthy relationship with alcohol/drugs/food/love — I feel like my heroes can help you, too.
Enough with the intro. Let’s get to that list.
- “The Bubble Hour” with Jean McCarthy (formerly with Ellie, Amanda, Lisa and Catherine….I recommend going back to listen to the earliest episodes.)
- “Soberful” with Chip Somers and Veronica Valli
- “This Naked Mind” with Annie Grace
- “Home” with Laura McKowen & Holly Whitaker (pod ended a few years ago, so only old episodes are available)
- “Belle’s One Minute Message” with Belle Robertson
- “She Recovers” with Taryn Strong & Dawn Nickle
- “Drinking: A Love Story” by Caroline Knapp
- “This Naked Mind” by Annie Grace
- “Blackout” by Sarah Hepola
- “Guts” by Kristen Johnston
- “Drink” by Ann Dowsett Johnston (not related to Kristen)
- “The Unexpected Joy of Being Sober” by Catherine Gray
- “Dry” by Augusten Burroughs
- “Nothing Good Can Come From This” by Kristi Coulter
- “Unwasted” by Sacha Scoblic
- “Recovery” by Russell Brand
- “Drunk Mom” by Jowita Bydlowska
- “We Are The Luckiest” by Laura McKowen
- “Quit Like A Woman” by Holly Whitaker
- “Quitter” by Erica C Barnett
- “Alcohol Lied To Me“ by Craig Beck
- “The Easy Way To Control Alcohol” by Allen Carr
- “An Apple A Day” by Emma Woolf (this one’s about recovery from anorexia)
- “Love Warrior” by Glennon Doyle
- “Motherland” by Elissa Altman (recommended for anyone struggling with a codependent family relationship)
- “A Million Little Pieces” by James Frey
- “A Woman’s Way Through The 12 Steps” by Stephanie S. Covington
- The Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous (AA)
- Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions (AA)
- Living Sober (AA)
Many thanks to all the above, and apologies for any inadvertent name-botchings. Hopefully, someday, I can fully pay forward everything you’ve taught me!
In a small way, I hope that I’m doing that right now. ❤️